Tuesday, July 7, 2009

"Welcome to the working world," they said.


To which I replied, "I'm not a fan."

A few weeks ago I started this lovely (not) job as a maintenance worker at the local water slides. It pays a solid $8.00 and hour, but beggars can't be choosers, right? The majority of my shifts consist of wiping down tables, picking up garbage, and sweeping used pads and tampons off the floor of the girls washroom. Yum. It is indeed one of the grossest things I've done, but I think that after a while you sort of become immune to it.

Anyways, I've realized a few things.

1. They really aren't lying when they say it is important to get an education.

Perhaps I've been too naive. I honestly thought I could just wing it after highschool and somehow float through life. Actually scratch that. What they actually mean is it is important to get an education if you want a well paying job.

2. I do not like so much structure in my life.

Being a teenager, you can't really expect much from a job. The crappy shifts, the low pay, the flunkie-ing around, it's all part of the experience. This job is to save up for my world traveling extravaganza, and I can tolerate that. But, when I eventually (if ever) grow up, I am can almost certainly guarantee you that I will be freelancing it up. No 9-5 job for me. No sir. The routine is already beginning to eat away at me, and I've been at it for a whopping 21 days.

Phew. That took way longer to type than it should have.
I am so out of shape that I'm too tired to type.

Jess.

No comments:

Post a Comment